1. His success was because of ________ he had been working hard .
B. the fact which
C. the fact that
D. the fact
2."Is Mary from New York City " "I don't know _______."
A. from what city does she come from
B. from what city she come
C. what city does she come from
D. what city she comes from
3.________ makes mistakes must correct them.
4. The reason why I didn't go to Shanghai was ________ a new job.
A. because I got
B. because of getting
C. I got
D. that I got
5. It worried her a bit ____ her hair was turning gray.
6. Henry killed the dog. I'll ask him why ________.
A. did he do that
B. he did that
C. he did
D. he has done so
7. Have you seen Henry lately My boss wants to know ________.
A. how he is getting along
B. how is he getting along
C. what he is getting along
D. what is he getting along
8. It is generally considered unwise to give a child ____ he or she wants.
9. He asked me ________ with me.
A. what is the trouble
B. what wrong was
C. what was the matter
D. what trouble it is
10. I am sure ________ he said is true.
B. about that
C. of that
D. that what
11. When and why he came here ________ yet.
A. is not known
B. are not known
C. has not known
D. have not bee
12.I wonder how much ________.
A. does the watch cost
B. did the watch cost
C. the watch cost
D. the watch costs
13. Mary is ________ someone might recognize her.
A. afraid of
B. afraid about
C. afraid that
D. afraid for
14.________ is no reason for dismissing her.
A. Because she was a few minutes late
B. Owing to a few minutes late
C. The fact that she was a few minutes late
D. Being a few minutes late
15. They came to the conclusion ________ by a computer.
A. that not all things can be done
B. because of not all things be done
C. being not all things can be done
D. because not all things can be done
Answers: 1-5. CDCDB 6-10. BABCD 11-15. ADCCA
1. The satellite ______ in a rocket. (launch)
2. The roof _____ under the weight of the snow. (collapse)
3. We should avoid _____ what we think about people different from ourselves. (decide)
4. The most _____ evidence of black holes comes from research into binary stars system. (convince)
5. There is a great deal of ____ about his retirement from active politics. (speculate)
Answers: was launched, collapsed, deciding, convincing, speculation
1. A black hole exerts a strong gravitational pull and yet it has no matter.
2. If we understood black holes, they wouldn't be so dreadful to us.
3. His company collapsed as a result of poor management.
4. His figure was swallowed up in the dark.
5. Has the medicine started to operate?